Notes

I think the notes people include in their recipes make them more personal. If I write a note myself about a recipe, it will always be written in purple.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Butternut Tart

The recipe for tomato-basil pie reminded me of this tart recipe I have - again using butternut squash which I absolutely love. I suppose this is more of a main dish than a side dish because all you need to do is add a nice salad and you have dinner.

Butternut Tart

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
1/2 cup peeled apple slices
2 cups cooked pureed butternut squash
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier, Cointreau, or Triple Sec)
1 tablespoon curry powder
3 eggs
1/2 cup light cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1 baked tart shell or deep dish pie shell (9-inch)

Saute apple in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; puree in blender or processor. Combine with pureed squash in large bowl. Saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter and add to squash. Melt the rest of the butter and add brown sugar, orange liqueur, and curry.

Cook until well blended. Add to squash, long with eggs, cream, and salt and pepper. Whisk until well blended. Pour in pre-baked tart shell and bake at 350 degrees approximately 1 hour. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
Serves 4 to 6.

(From Worldwide Recipes (Michele))

No comments:

Post a Comment