Notes

I think the notes people include in their recipes make them more personal. If I write a note myself about a recipe, it will always be written in purple.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

SPAGHETTI SALAD

SPAGHETTI SALAD
I use whatever fresh vegetables there are.

grated carrot
yellow, red and green peppers
celery
finely diced shallots
freeze dried chives and chive florets
cucumber
chopped parsley

I do NOT use tomato since it doesn't 'keep' as well. (I have added radish, halved seedless grapes, sliced baby corn on the cob, water chestnuts - drained and sliced, yellow and green zucchini, drained and rinsed beans, whatever's in the vegetable bin that seems like it might taste good.) I did NOT add cheese or meat since leftovers don't keep as well with it.

Add cubed cheese, pepperoni, cubed meat if you think it will be eaten that day or finished the next.

Cook, drain, rinse to chill and drain well spaghetti, broken in half. (I have used other shapes of pasta as well - shells, radiatore, whatever, just not too small.)

Add chopped / diced / sliced vegetables.

DRESSING: Mix:
Fat Free Italian dressing (probably half a large bottle; I strained it through a sieve to get rid of the 'chunks'/ spices. The pasta will soak it up as it sits.)
A good squirt (1 to 2 tbsp.) of liquid honey (cuts the acid bite)
Freshly finely grated Parmesan (2 Tbsp. or more)
3/4 to 1 tsp Sesame seeds
3/4 to 1 tsp Poppy seeds
1/4 tsp celery seed (good shake)
Shake of garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp paprika
2 shakes ground black pepper
Dash of ground allspice
(3 or 4 tsp Salad Supreme Omit for vegetarian since it contains cheese) Good shake of Zeus seasoning (optional)

Pour over, toss, cover and chill 2+ hours.

Some people just use more Salad Supreme instead of mixing their own seasonings. I find I can tweak the flavours to suit our taste, and add some of it in case I missed anything else.

I have also used other flavours of Salad Dressing, but the Italian dressing seems to work the best.
Do your own thing and make it your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment