Notes

I think the notes people include in their recipes make them more personal. If I write a note myself about a recipe, it will always be written in purple.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Bavarian Sausage and Apples

I found this recipe after a 5 pm What on earth is for dinner panic. It is a tasty dish that is easy to prepare and uses ingrediants that I often have in my home. I do gleaning in my area and so I get many different kinds of sausages for free...the original recipe calls for bratwurst, but I use whatever I have...last time I used a large package of Polish Sausage...because of gleaning, this dish is VERY cheap for me...I hope you find that this is a frugal dinner as well.This takes one hour to cook, but don't let that stop you, 30 minutes is simmering on the stove. We serve it with rice.

Bavarian Sausage and Apples
Serves 6

3 Tablespoons butter
12 links sausage of choice, Polish, bratwurst, etc. You probably do not want a strong Italian flavor or something like a Cheddar jalapeno, but I think most types would work fine
2 medium onions, sliced
4 apples, unpeeled cut into 1/2" wedges
2 tsp. brown sugar, heaping
2 T. flour
1 c. beef broth
1 c. unsweetened apple juice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

(and, if you do not eat sausages for whatever reason, I am sure that there are veggie options that would work, or you could try it with a similar meat, I am just not sure what that would be....I am not a big lamb person and do not know if that would over power the flavor...maybe a ground beef, ground lamb mix that you make into small meatballs... let me know what you think...)

Take sausages and cut into slices...I like to cut them on the diagonal, maybe 1-1/2 inches long and 3/8 inch thick...this is not obsessive, just a good mouth sized bite.

Brown sausages in skillet with butter, until browned, remove from pan, set aside.

Add onions to skillet; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add apples and brown sugar; cook 5 minutes. Remove apple slices and set aside.

Add flour to skillet; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Return sausages and apples to pan; bring to boil. Lower heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes
C~

No comments:

Post a Comment