Notes

I think the notes people include in their recipes make them more personal. If I write a note myself about a recipe, it will always be written in purple.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Taco Salad

Taco Salad

1 lb. gr. beef (meat)
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 or 2 diced tomatoes
1 sm. head lettuce, shredded
1 bag shredded cheddar cheese
1 bag tortilla chips, crushed
1 to 1-1/2 cups Catalina or Russian salad dressing (low fat is okay)

1. Cook ground beef and add taco seasoning. Let cool completely. (I cover the ground beef with COLD water and 'boil' / cook it that way so I can 'defat' it. If I have cooked and frozen the meat, I thaw it, add the
seasoning, and let it stand in the refrigerator overnight, well covered, for the flavours to meld.)

2. Before serving, add all other ingredients and mix. Makes a large salad. (Use your own judgment on the salad dressing. You don't want it too wet but not dry either.)

Note: I tried sprinkling dry chips on top - Not Good :-( The chips poke the roof of your mouth!)

Options:  1. I have added drained mixed beans, refried beans, tiny ears of corn, a few olives, finely diced dried apricots, diced water chestnuts... Be creative and make it your own! (I never make it exactly the same twice!)

 2. If served in a flat dish, it also works well with corn chips to 'dip'.

No comments:

Post a Comment