Notes

I think the notes people include in their recipes make them more personal. If I write a note myself about a recipe, it will always be written in purple.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Spicy Tomato Jam

Spicy Tomato Jam


By Dana Treat
WebMD Recipe from Foodily.com
I decided to make this jam because it came from a trusted cookbook and is something I have thought of making on many different occasions. I imagine it would be good with goat cheese on top of crostini. I’m sure it would make a good omelet filling. But I also think it would be really good with meat – pork most likely. So I filled my kitchen with the intoxicating smell of cherry tomatoes cooking down with sugar and spices and then spooned it up into a jar. It was a huge hit with the whole family.

Ingredients

1 pound ripe cherry tomatoes, about 3 cups
4 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. light brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1/2 lemon, sliced into thin half moons
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tbsp. unfiltered cider vinegar
Salt and cayenne pepper

Instructions

Combine the tomatoes, sugars, ginger, lemon, spices, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the vinegar in a medium-size, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of cayenne and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the tomatoes cook down to a jam and the sugars are bubbly and caramelized, 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon vinegar to taste.

Total Servings: 32

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, today I am collecting recipes for jams, jellies and relishes. Please do drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking to your post in my blog (Carole's Chatter). Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking this in Michelle. Cheers

    ReplyDelete