Notes

I think the notes people include in their recipes make them more personal. If I write a note myself about a recipe, it will always be written in purple.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Mom's Pot Roast


My Mom's Pot Roast

Yield: 1 Servings

Ingredients and directions for this recipe

Black pepper

Olive oil or butter

2 tb Kitchen Bouquet (up to 3)

3/4 c Worcestershire sauce

Carrots

Potatoes

Pearl onions

More Worcestershire if desired


The advantage of this recipe is that it can make nearly any cut of meat tender and juicy.


Sprinkle with black pepper an brown meat in minimal olive oil or butter in heavy-bottomed pot. Add water to cover, 2-3 T Kitchen Bouquet and 3/4 c Worcestershire sauce. Simmer, covered for 1.5 hours, keeping water about level with top of roast, turning roast often. Add carrots, potatoes and pearl onions, and more Worcestershire if desired. (I think my mom ends up using about 1.5 cups by the time the pot roast is finished) Simmer covered for about 1 hour, reducing liquid to about 3/4 inch in bottom of pot, adding water only if necessary. Serve with cooking broth on the side.

Everyone has their favorite Worcestershire sauce. I find that Lea and Perrins gives this pot roast a mildly spicy flavor, and French's a more mellow flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment